Monday, September 5, 2011

1st day in Bangkok.

I arrived at around 7:30AM in Baan Hua Lampong.

Baan Hua Lampong is a recommended guesthouse if you need to catch an early train going outside of Bangkok. Hua Lampong Railway Station (Hua Lampong Leyl-wey Is-tey-sho) is just a stone away from MRT and the guesthouse. There are also several guesthouses within the area: Your Place Guesthouse (across Baan Hua Lampong), Cozy Bangkok Place and The Train Inn. I chose Baan Hua Lampong because of good ratings and feedback and free left baggage after you check out. I’m not really sure of the other guesthouses if they offer the same service

“Baan” means home or house. It was a traditional house with wooden floors. I’d say it’s a cozy place for my standards. 290 Baht a night is very economical already when traveling alone. I almost researched every place I will be going so I don’t have to ask the receptionist for instructions anymore. The place is managed by Tommy Wu, a seemingly nice guy who speaks good English.

My room will not be ready yet until 10:30AM so I opted to proceed to Silom area. It was where we used to stay so I’m pretty familiar with the place. SuperRich Money changer has a branch in Sala-daeng BTS which offers good exchange rate for Philippine peso. (Sala-daeng station is within Silom zone)

As a suggestion, you can buy Thai Baht in Czarina Forex with main office in Tower 1 and Exchange Plaza in Ayala Avenue. It’s too much of a hassle for me to pick up the money so I opted to buy Thai Baht in Bangkok.

I reached Silom station via MRT worth 18 Baht, exchanged money and went to an internet station. I returned to Hua Lampong at around 11AM, checked in and took a nap for a couple of hours. I woke at around 2PM, took a shower and went to MBK and Pratunam malls.

MBK is not recommended for male fashion clothes. Platinum is better because you can haggle in most stalls and the mall has many stalls for men’s clothes.

It took me several hours to shop and I had long walks from one place to another.

Sweat, sweat, sweat.

I went back to Hua Lampong via the skytrain and MRT. The trains are really very convenient. Next time, I’ll probably purchase a stored value ticket which is convenient for travelers and tourists. I’m just not familiar how it works so do your research.

Later in the evening, I get myself familiarized with the railway station (train to Ayutthaya) and asked also for some directions from Thais and information officers inside the station. I had my first Pad Thai noodles in one of the stalls outside the railway station. Men, it was delicious! Trust me.


No comments:

Post a Comment