Monday, September 5, 2011

A Nap in Suvarnabhumi Airport

The airplane arrived before midnight (Bangkok time, Manila time ahead of 1 hour). After the passport check, I searched the airport for a possible sleeping place. The best spot I saw that time was the steel chairs at the 2nd floor far right if you are to exit the airport.

I bought some bread and drinks at Family Mart. Food are cheap!

After eating, I took a nap with my traveling bag as my head rest & embraced my backpack. I woke up at 4:30AM.

Aww. My back and sides ached.

I freshened up myself and searched the area for Airport Express Counter in Level 1. To my surprise, Airport Express Buses are not anymore operational.

Panic, panic, panic.

Plan B was to take the Airport Link. Based from my thorough research, I need to alight at Makkasan station and walk to subway (MRT) at Phetchaburi station going to my destination – Hua Lampong station.

The train however opens at 6PM so it will be an hour wait. As I tour around the basement (Floor for the Airport Link), I saw some farangs (non-Asians) sleeping literally under the walkways. I think that was a good sleeping spot! Next time, I will go straight to that area and find a good corner. Don’t forget to bring a blanket or a shawl to keep you warm. Jacket will just keep your upper body warm.

After few minutes, the airport station opens. Fare to Makkasan station is only 35 Baht as compared to 150 Baht fare from airport to Hua Lampong station using the now defunct airport express buses.

I get off the Makkasan station and followed the signs towards the subway. You can’t get lost unless you can’t read. I was sure I was on the right track because farangs with big bags are also going towards the subway.

Subway and airport link are pretty near as to my standards. It’s just a 5-minute walk and you literally have to cross a railway.

I entered the subway and purchased the ticket which was I think 38 Baht. 73 Baht all-in-all compared to 150 Baht. More than 50% savings! But if you are traveling in a group, you may want to consider riding a taxi or even the public bus.

To my surprise, Thailand has also a Don Bosco School, my high school alma mater.

After 15 minutes, I arrived at Hua Lampong Station, followed the signs and with no sweat, I saw the sign for my home for the next 4 days – Baan Hua Lampong.

No comments:

Post a Comment