Tuesday, September 6, 2011

4th day in Bangkok

My 4th day in BKK was a Saturday. Weekend means shopping – the Weekend Market in Chatuchak/Jatujak!

I woke up at around 7AM and packed my things because I need to check out the guesthouse that morning. I left my 2 bags and headed to MRT.

I was early at around 9AM because most sellers were still preparing their stalls. Men! The place was really big as it passes a couple of train stations. Good thing that I was sort of familiar with the place plus the fact that I was here back in August of last year.

I bought a pair of jeans. Damn! It was a nice find at 299 Baht. The drawback, however, was that it has no fitting room. So basically, the seller had to cover me with his body while fitting it. Good thing I was wearing a boxer brief and the area was not congested with people yet.

I then realized, I’ve got no more money! Literally, I only got 50 Baht. Instead of window shopping, I went to Khao San Road from Chatuchak via MRT and bus #53. Good thing, I still got Philippine peso.

I also recommend Rainbow Money Changer in Khao San Road (aside from SuperRich Money Changer which has a branch in KSR also).

It was my last day so I have to make the most out of it. After changing my Philippine peso to Thai Baht, I indulged myself with every street food I see. Oh my, they the de-li-cio-so!

I also tried the 1-hour foot massage for 220Baht. It was around 3 PM and the spa has an outdoor garden setting but electric fans were everywhere. The spa is not recommended in the afternoon. Night is the best time to go to garden-setting spa because it is really humid in the afternoon.

The massage was awesome. The masseuse was very good so I gave her 50Baht as a tip. I hope she forgive me because I apply the rule of 5-10% of the availed service tip. Anyways, it should have been 20Baht only. :-))

My flight will still be at midnight so I went to Silom area again. As I stroll, a masseur handed me a flyer saying Thai + Oil massage for 450Baht (2 hours). Wow. It was very tempting. I was killing time and still got few bucks in my pocket so I tried their services.

I was really surprised with the service but with the 300Baht tip I gave him, it appears he was very glad to receive one. No questions.

I rushed back to my guesthouse using MRT, then went to Petchaburi station, walked towards Makkasan station, purchased a 35Baht train fare to Airport, and shalah!!!

I emptied my pocket with my remaining Thai Bahts in 7-11 convenience store and bought something to eat plus the recommended Glico Pretz Larb flavor (as I tasted it, nothing was extraordinary about it). :-))

I strolled around the airport as I wait for the flight.

Men! I must say that the check-in Thai officers for Cebu Pac were very slow! An hour before the departure time, we were still on line! I noticed that most of the passengers were farangs (mostly Americans with their accents). No wonder because the airplane is to arrive in Clark.

We arrived at around 4AM.

Recommended route: Ride a jeepney (with A/C) which was waiting outside the airport (where taxis are parked) worth Php50 towards Dau bus terminal, then ride a bus going to Manila. I even rode a non-AC bus because I was kinda cold at that time. Fare was Php106.

At 7AM, I arrived at my apartment. Awesomeness.

=====================================================

Things that I learned with my first solo backpacking? Oh men! I read so many blogs regarding solo backpacking and all. Nakakainggit. They are traveling alone. I am to assume na wala silang lovelife parang ako lang. Imagine mo, you went in another country just by yourself, your research and lots of fortitude.

Sa totoo lang, marami akong di magagawa kapag kasama ko yung supposedly na mga kasama ko. They backed out because of money problem. Basically wala silang panggastos.

I like to travel. If I need to spend to experience something, I won’t mind. The first time I went to BKK, andami kong libre sa mga kasama ko. I am not ranting about it pero I’d like to spend my own hard earned money. Kung sila, di marunong mag-ipon, ako, super marunong. I was raised that way.

Marami akong nagastos dahil sa spa, “experiences”, food, travel etc. Pero feeling ko, pareho lang magagastos ko when I am with my supposedly companions.

After the experience, di ko alam pero I felt some humility that sinked in me. Parang sinapian ata ako ng mga monk sa mga pinuntahan ko. I felt good about traveling BKK alone. It was something that most people I know will not do.

Me being somehow introvert was wholly taken away from me. I used not to know how to make a conversation especially when I was young but I guess wisdom comes with age. In Thailand though, don’t expect to make long conversation with Thais because they will just nod and nod at you. Honestly, Filipinos are really very good in English if you are to compare us with Thais. Kahit “English-carabao” pa yan, a foreigner would understand it.

No comments:

Post a Comment